A federal immigration operation outside a Home Depot in Cypress Park has been confirmed by community groups following videos circulating on social media early Monday that captured masked agents detaining several people.
The operation took place before 10 a.m. near the 2000 block of North Figueroa Street, according to witness accounts. The Boyle Heights Immigrant Rights Network, which works to verify immigration sightings, also confirmed the incident with Boyle Heights Beat, and said possibly 10 to 15 people had been detained, including a taco vendor.
Videos circulating on social media show masked men in military gear, believed to be federal agents, chasing a few men and taking them into custody.
Alfredo, a vendor who did not want his last name published out of fear for his safety, sells near the Home Depot. He said he witnessed the incident and saw between 8 and 10 people detained by masked, armed agents wearing vests.
Agents in military gear rolled up in a white van, Alfredo said, standing with the sliding door open. The van parked and the agents emerged, heading toward people who were eating tacos.
Alfredo said a woman started shouting, “Migra!” People ran, including a female vendor who was preparing tortillas, he said. He later learned that the female vendor had been caught after a Home Depot worker showed him a video of agents escorting her away.
Agents in about four vehicles came from all directions, he said. It happened so fast that it felt like lightning, he added.
Alfredo said he’s a legal resident and that he didn’t run. He considered no longer vending in the area, but he said he has no other choice.
“I have to find a way to move forward,” he said.
Blanca, a Boyle Heights resident who did not share her last name over fear for her safety, said she was walking into the Home Depot with her dad at the time of the incident when she saw people running from a fruit stand near the parking lot.
“I saw these white vans pull up and ICE agents. Honestly, I don’t even know if they were ICE agents. They ran after them like animals,” Blanca said.
“I started screaming, ‘ICE is here! ICE is here!’ and I went live on TikTok to let everyone know what’s happening.”
Blanca described seeing at least five white vehicles — two trucks and three vans — and a number of ICE agents in military gear. While she didn’t witness the apprehensions directly, she said bystanders told her at least seven people were taken. “It all happened so fast,” she said.
The agents reportedly left after a crowd began to gather and document the incident. Residents remained in the area to gather information and let others know about the incident.
Federal agents have targeted other Home Depot stores in recent weeks. Monday’s operation was the second immigration raid this month at the Cypress Park location.
Boyle Heights Beat reached out to the Department of Homeland Security, which oversees Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), but has not yet received a response.
L.A. City Councilmember Eunisses Hernandez, who represents the area, issued the following statement:
“Upon receiving reports of ICE presence in Cypress Park, our office immediately responded to assess the location and connect with individuals on-site to gather information on the incident. As the attacks from the federal government continue to terrorize Angelenos across the city, our office is committed to equipping the community with the tools they need to defend themselves. We are working in collaboration with local organizations and rapid response networks to offer Know Your Rights clinics and community defense trainings, connect impacted communities and allies to immigrant defense resources, and provide assistance to those impacted by ICE raids in our district to keep families together and protect our neighborhoods.”
Editor’s Note: This story was updated at 6:09 p.m., Monday, June 30, 2025, to add a second witness account and a statement from Councilmember Eunisses Hernandez.