The residential streets along the Western Avenue corridor north of the 10 freeway are littered with used condoms due to rampant sex trafficking from men meeting with the sex workers in front of homes and and in the streets, according to locals.
Residents recounted their concerns about what they say is a growing issue during a community meeting on Thursday.
Several city departments, advocacy groups and the Los Angeles Police Department led the meeting with Councilman Hugo Soto-Martínez, who emphasized authorities would attempt to help the sex workers off the streets rather than jailing them.
Rory Cunningham, a resident of St. Andrews Square which sits west of Koreatown, said during the meeting that he sees the activity nightly.
“The young women bring their johns into our neighborhoods where they’re having sex in our yards, on our porches, in our driveways,” he said during the meeting, according to news station NBC 4.
City officials said the police crackdown on human trafficking along the Figueroa Street corridor in South LA may have pushed activity into nearby neighborhoods.
Bill Robinson, president of the Wilshire Center-Koreatown Neighborhood Council, said the issue is especially concerning as some of the activity happens near schools.
“We have an elementary school at 1st and Western Avenue. That’s an affected area. Kids are all over the place,” Robinson told The LA Local. He added that he also sees activity in the early morning near areas where people walk or exercise.
Robinson said addressing the problem requires more than law enforcement.
“There’s no one single tool we can utilize to fix it. If it’s a crime like selling drugs, it’s easier,” he said.
He suggested directing some funding from homelessness services to provide outreach for the women and other sex trafficking victims.
“A lot of times, it’s economical too. All the pimps that are in control sometimes give them housing and things of that nature,” he said.
He added that solutions should include shelters, job skills programs and mental health support.
“It’s a holistic thing. We all have to work together. Not one agency has all the tools to eradicate this,” Robinson said.
Soto-Martínez, who organized the community meeting, said his office recently launched a cross-agency task force focused on Western Avenue.
“As part of this work with the City Attorney and law enforcement, we’re partnering with Journey Out, an organization that specializes in rescuing young women and girls being trafficked to provide survivor-centered support and permanent solutions to these issues,” he said in a statement to The LA Local.
His office said another meeting is planned in the coming months to hear from residents and receive updates from city departments.
Last month, the city of Los Angeles launched a new initiative aimed at disrupting sex trafficking along Western Avenue. The efforts are centered around communities near Koreatown and the Greater Wilshire area along Western Avenue. The city’s efforts would seek to hold traffickers and clients accountable, while also supporting victims.
“It is imperative for there to be collaboration amongst different entities within our city to best help serve survivors of human trafficking,” said Nayeli May, executive director of the nonprofit Journey Out, which provides support to human trafficking survivors.
Victims and witnesses can call the National Human Trafficking Hotline at 888-373-7888.