The fencing surrounding the Destination Crenshaw project on Crenshaw Boulevard, shown here on Aug. 19, 2026, was removed on Friday, allowing for more residential parking, city officials said. (LaMonica Peters/The LA Local)

Destination Crenshaw removed  its fencing along Crenshaw Boulevard last week after backlash from locals. 

South LA locals held a community meeting on July 30 at Bethesda Temple Church where they voiced concerns about the fencing, reduced parking and the prolonged disruption caused by the construction.   

Marqueece Harris-Dawson, LA City Council president, told The LA Local he’s “responded to the legitimate concerns of residents and businesses with urgency.” 

“Fences are down, parking is being restored, lighting has been repaired, and parking enforcement has been relaxed,” said Harris-Dawson, who also represents District 8 where Destination Crenshaw is located.

He also credited LA Mayor Karen Bass with helping cut red tape and provide flexibility to keep the project moving forward. 

Destination Crenshaw also wrote in an Instagram post on Friday that the nonprofit organization is focused on “caring for our shared spaces, supporting local businesses and continuing to invest in the community that makes Crenshaw what it is.”

“There is more work ahead, and we’re committed to completing Destination Crenshaw together,” the post read.

The fencing removal may provide some immediate relief for pedestrians and businesses, but questions remain about when Destination Crenshaw will be completed and how long businesses will continue to experience construction-related disruptions.

Tavis Smiley, the KBLA Talk 1580 operator who hosted the July 30 meeting with locals, believes the latest move from Destination Crenshaw does not address the community’s larger concerns.

“Destination Crenshaw’s public pronouncements are deceptive and disingenuous,” Smiley told The LA Local after the fencing was removed. “When will construction resume? What is the completion date? Where is the business interruption fund for impacted businesses?”

Harris-Dawson spearheaded the creation of Destination Crenshaw. His spokesperson said the project was conceived in 2016 and its nonprofit formed in 2018. The project broke ground in February 2020 and construction began in November 2021. 

Destination Crenshaw was originally expected to open to the public in February 2024, according to a 2023 architectural fact sheet

The 1.3-mile project stretches along Crenshaw Boulevard from Leimert Boulevard to 60th Street and is designed to create an outdoor cultural destination celebrating Black LA through public art, gathering spaces and landscaping.

“Destination Crenshaw is moving forward, and we will continue to share clear updates as milestones are reached.” Harris-Dawson said. “Nothing will stop us from delivering the world-class Black art outdoor museum our community deserves.” 

Harris-Dawson’s office said locals can sign up for the project’s newsletter or follow them on social media.  

My background: I was raised in LA’s Crenshaw District and spent nearly a decade as an educator in the Los Angeles Unified School District before starting my journalism career in TV news. I was a broadcast news reporter for 14 years.

What I do: I cover Inglewood and South LA as a reporter for The LA Local. I’m honored to be a part of community-powered news in Los Angeles and helping people tell their stories.

Why LA: LA is my home and after living all over the country, there’s no other place I’d rather be. The weather, the diversity, the global appeal and the laid-back vibe is just what I need.

The best way to contact me: My email is lamonica@thelalocal.org.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *