Alberto Carvalho
The home and office of Alberto Carvalho were raided by the FBI on Wednesday. (Kyle Stokes / LAist.)

By Thomas Peele for EdSource
Originally published Feb. 26, 2026

A parents’ organization is calling for the Los Angeles Unified School District to place Superintendent Alberto Carvalho on administrative leave following an FBI raid on his home and office on Wednesday.

The group, Parents Supporting Teachers, called early Thursday for the appointment of an interim superintendent immediately “to ensure continuity of leadership and stability across the district,” it said in a statement.

The district did not immediately respond to questions on Thursday morning. The school board has scheduled a meeting for 4 p.m. Thursday to discuss Carvalho’s employment status.

The district had not made any public statements on Carvalho’s job status as of Thursday morning. He has so far remained publicly silent about the FBI investigation, which sources have told EdSource and other news organizations involves the district’s relationship with a failed tech company it contracted with for a chatbot.

This is a developing story; check back for updates.

EdSource is California’s largest journalism organization focused on education. The nonprofit believes access to a quality education is an important right of all children, and that an informed, involved public is necessary to strengthen California’s education institutions, improve student success and build a better workforce.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *